1. The Concerto Competition is open to all students who either have their permanent residence in Ohio or attend an Ohio college, university or conservatory. Entrants are divided into categories by age/school enrollment at the time of audition: Junior Division, high school students and younger; and Senior Division, full-time undergraduate students age 24 and younger (as of January 26, 2019). Vocalists and instrumentalists will compete in the same divisions. Past first place winners may not compete again.
2. The winners must be able to perform at the Sunday, April 28, 2019 concert at 3 p.m. at the Jeanne B. McCoy Community Center for the Arts in New Albany. Winners must also attend rehearsals (dates and times TBA). All rehearsals take place at the McCoy.
3. The competition will be held on Saturday, January 26, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Graves Piano and Organ, 5798 Karl Rd., Columbus, Ohio. The competition time may be extended to as late as 6:00 p.m. depending upon the number of entrants. The Senior Division will compete first.
4. Each applicant must provide their own accompanist. Instrumentalists should perform one movement from a concerto from the orchestral repertoire. The concerto can be any standard concerto movement, but the judges will only hear up to 12 minutes at the competition. Vocal performers should choose a piece from the vocal orchestral repertoire, including classical, Broadway, and opera. Students should not compete with any of the concertos that have been performed by NASO the previous two seasons:
IBERT Concertino da Camera (16-17)
CHOPIN Concerto No. 1 in E minor Op. 11 (16-17)
GERSHWIN Rhapsody in Blue (16-17)
FOSS Renaissance Concerto for Flute and Orchestra (17-18)
TCHAIKOVSKY Violin Concerto in D Major (17-18)
SAINT-SAENS Cello Concerto No. 1 (17-18)
5. You must provide one original score for the judges. Additional original scores are encouraged, but not required. Photocopies are not permitted.
6. One movement only.
7. No piano tutti passages during audition.
8. You must perform with accompaniment and you must provide your own accompanist.
9. Memorization is required.
10. Your audition time will be sent via e-mail after the application deadline has passed. Please confirm your receipt of this e-mail.
11. All applications are due by January 3, 2019. Applications may be submitted electronically or sent via US mail and postmarked by the deadline.
12. To apply, either fill out the online form or print and mail the form by the deadline.
13. An application fee of $40 must be paid online no later than January 3, 2019 or paid by check and sent with your application. Applicants who fail to pay the fee by the deadline will not be permitted to compete.